Difference between TE and "cronless" trade scripts

Our support will answer all your general questions here.

Moderator: Rock

texpert
Site Admin

Difference between TE and "cronless" trade scripts

Post by texpert »

Hello,

knowing that some of you are fans of cronless scripts, i would like to make sure everyone understands the difference.

Difference between "cron" and "cronless" trade scripts:
All "cronless" scripts must still process their logs, data structures, main statistics, link report, history and everything else. Both solutions execute data processing each minute, the only difference is that TE data processing is being triggered by the crontab, while data processing for cronless script is being triggered by "in.php" when the first surfer in that single minute visits your page. The only difference between processing data with crons or that other technique is that some users might feel more comfortable with "cronless" solution, because they don't need to add them or they are afraid of them because they are not sure how to add them, but on the other hand our installer adds crons automatically, so there is no hassle with it at all.

"cronless" scripts have a huge downside:
Another script developer pointed out that scripts which use cron process data in the background, while scripts which do not use crons process data while a visitor is waiting for the page to load. So long as the processes run quickly, this should not be a problem, however a script lacking crons might cause some users to experience significant delays while waiting for the page to load. My script was initially "cronless", however after doing some testing, I determined that it was better to have cron than to not use it.

regards,
Jim