Babelog on TE. How?

Our support will answer all your general questions here.

Moderator: Rock

morphius

Babelog on TE. How?

Post by morphius »

I'm thinking about building a few babelogs but there seem to be no ready-to-go solution for this.
Anyone knows how it can be done on TE?
Thanks.
texpert
Site Admin

Re: Babelog on TE. How?

Post by texpert »

Many webmasters use TE on their blog sites. Hopefully you will find my answers useful.

Main and gallery trading:

Bloggers usually trade "main" and "gallery" traffic separately. This is where TE pages & groups features kick in. Use "default" page for the "main" trading and create one
additional "advanced" page (advanced pages are TE 2.0 feature) called "gallery" for gallery trading. This way you will have all your stats separated. Next, create two groups
"main" and "gallery" and assign trades accordingly.

Linking:

Usually trading between blogs looks like this. Your trade partner gives you a link to his gallery and you plug it to your site.
His gallery: http://www.hissite.com/somthing/gallery5.html

You link to his gallery with a thumb & text link through TE, like this:
/cgi-bin/te/o.cgi?purl=http://www.hissite.com/somthing/gallery5.html
Each click on this gallery link will be counted as outgoing hit to trade: "hissite.com".

You could also link like this:
/cgi-bin/tenext/o.cgi?id=29&t=http://www.trade.com/one_of_his_galleries.html
(where 29 is ID of a trade you want to add up 1 outgoing to)

Toplist features:

Since version 2.0, there are several new toplist parameters, specially for bloggers:
You should be able to display all the parameters a blog site requires.

##outuniq:x## - will print outgoing uniques. For example: ##outuniq:2## will print outgoing uniques for trade number two.

##balanceraw:x## - will print balance raw (outgoing total - incoming raw). For example: ##balanceraw:2## will print balance raw for trade number two.

##balanceratioraw:x## - will print balance ratio raw (incoming raws / outgoing total). For example: ##balanceratioraw:2## will print balance ratio raw for trade number two.

##balanceuniq:x## - will print balance uniq (outgoing uniq - incoming uniq). For example: ##balanceuniq:2## will print balance uniq for trade number two.

##balanceratiouniq:x## - will print balance ratio uniq (incoming uniq / outgoing uniq). For example: ##balanceratiouniq:2## will print balance ratio uniq for trade number two.

best regards,
Jim
morphius

Post by morphius »

Thanks. But this is not a complete solution since TE has no idea what the gallery is, it does not know which gallery to send to etc.
So basically, when I plug a trade's gallery on top to return him what I own, I will then have to remove this gallery from there not to oversend him.
Is there a solution for this?
texpert
Site Admin

Post by texpert »

In conjunction with TE, they use some software for rotating their galleries.
texpert
Site Admin

Post by texpert »

morphius wrote:Thanks. But this is not a complete solution since TE has no idea what the gallery is, it does not know which gallery to send to etc.
So basically, when I plug a trade's gallery on top to return him what I own, I will then have to remove this gallery from there not to oversend him.
Is there a solution for this?
Actually you probably don't need anything else. You could use TE's toplist / descriptions and toplist / images modules for gallery plugs. Using identifiers you can basically group them in any way you want to, it's very flexible. And by sorting toplist based on the new (version 2.0) "balance" sorts for blogs, you can display trades which are owed more on the spots
that get more traffic. Let me know how it goes.

How to use toplist description or images for this purpose:
Instead of the descriptions and/or images, you simply add URL to a gallery plug to the list, for example:
http://yourtradepartner.com/hisgalleryplug1.html
After that you can manipulate it the same way as descriptions/images.
morphius

Post by morphius »

Can you imagine how much work it is? There's no automation at all in the process you have proposed.
texpert
Site Admin

Post by texpert »

It's not fully automated of course, because TE is not a content script. You would have to add URLs manually into the script. If you want to you can test it on one site and let us know what else u think is required, we can add it upon request. If u don't want to do that, consider a simple content script. I will try to dig some URLs for you.
texpert
Site Admin

Post by texpert »

I talked to one of the most experienced babeloggers out there for you, hope that will answer your questions.

Blogger:
yeah, he's probably looking for something like this http://www.13scripts.com/#babeloggerv4

Blogger:
but even that, u still need to manually select which galleries to plug in advance. And i suspect he actually wants just to crop 1000 gals into a database, and have the plug script automatically select which gal to plug that day, based upon which trade is owed the most traffic. And i dont think a script like that exists.

Blogger:
The people that use plug scripts like babeloggerV4, still have to manually look at their TE stats to decide which sites to plug that day ... in that way, they're all manually done.
And the people that dont want to work on their sites everyday, simpily set up plug schedules ... where they decide which galleries to plug for the next few days in advance, and they set that as a schedule for their BabeloggerV4 ... and in a few days later, they check their TE again, to decide which sites are owed hits for the next batch of plus plugs.

Blogger
No, i'm still hacking away at it ... but i just use ST, and my own script, i call Bridge - which enables/disables trades in ST, based upon their owed ratio in TE.

Blogger:
But i dont think anyone else has an fully 100% automated system like i do ... and it sounds like thats what this guy might be looking for.
The reason nobody else has ever built a fully automatted script, is because its really not much extra work to do it manually....because we dont trade on 24hr stats ... instead we trade on history stats ... either all-time history, or the past 1 month history etc ... so if u r short of time, u can really u can set ur plugs for weeks in advance ... and lots of them do that, and it works fine.

Blogger:
Plus many many of the major babelogs are run by employees, so their bosses dont mind them updating the plugs manually every few days.
svobada

Post by svobada »

No, i'm still hacking away at it ... but i just use ST, and my own script, i call Bridge - which enables/disables trades in ST, based upon their owed ratio in TE
that's the perfect solution! Any way I can somehow get the contact of this guy?
Actually you probably don't need anything else. You could use TE's toplist / descriptions and toplist / images modules for gallery plugs.
The problem is that those thumbs are not sorted by anything, it's just random galleries
texpert
Site Admin

Post by texpert »

that's the perfect solution! Any way I can somehow get the contact of this guy?

I can ask the guy if he wants to be contacted, hit me up on ICQ about that.

The problem is that those thumbs are not sorted by anything, it's just random galleries

Not sure if you have noticed that we have introduced several new toplist sorts (balance sorts), let me know if they are useful for you in any way. Contact me on ICQ about that as well, we need to discuss it, to see what else we should implement.